- do I want to be safer from malicious attacks like viruses, backdoors, etc.
- do I want to increase my privacy?
- do I want to depend on others? especially questionable companies/products
- can I self-host instead?
- what's the tradeoff? likely less reliability
- can I move to something that offers more features?
- can I lower costs overall?
- often a tradeoff between cost and functionality
list of services
- media streaming: plex/emby/nextcloud?
- cloud hosting: pCloud
- RSS reader: no need
- bookmark/link saver/notes: shaarli "self"-hosted on gcloud free tier
- operating system: clear Linux & win10
- mobile device: moto g7 power
- email hosting: mxroute
- blog hosting: blogger
- domain registrar: namecheap
- password store: LastPass (move to keepass?)
- online backup: need? backblaze?
update 2dec19: went with pCloud lifetime membership for $503.39 ($334.12 for 2 TB and $169.27 for end-to-end encryption). breakeven with $CAD8/month comparable with sync.com at 5yrs3months.
update 1Jan20: went with mxroute lifetime membership for USD$99 or $CAD128.80. breakeven with USD$1/month at 8yrs3months.